The Doctor of Science (D. Sc.), Doctor of Letters (D. Litt.), Doctor of Laws (LL. D.) Ordinances, 2020 and shall be in effect from the date of approval of the Academic Council. The degree of D. Sc. / D. Litt. / LL. D. of the OPJS University shall be conferred on the candidates who fulfill the requirements as specified in these ordinances.
A candidate seeking admission to D. Sc./ D. Litt./ LL. D. programme of the University, must have pursued outstanding research in the concerned discipline and obtained the minimum qualifications required for admission as mentioned below. The candidate must have obtained a Ph. D. or an equivalent degree from this University, in the concerned discipline, at least 4 (four) academic years prior to the date of application,
must have obtained a Ph. D. or an equivalent degree from any other recognized university or from a foreign university of standing, in the concerned discipline, at least 4 (four) academic years prior to the date of application and a Master’s and/or a Bachelor’s degree from this University,
must be a permanent teacher of the this University, who has put in a minimum of 4 (four) years of service in that capacity, in this University, prior to the date of application, and has obtained a Ph. D. or an equivalent degree from this or from any other recognized university or from a foreign university of standing, in the concerned discipline.
A candidate, who is seeking admission to D. Sc./ D. Litt./ LL. D./ programme and who is eligible for admission in accordance with Clause II of these Ordinances, shall apply to the Controller of Examinations by submitting the following:
His/ her bio-data giving the details of educational qualifications, fields of specialization, research experience, academic distinctions, etc., along with a passport size photograph.
Title of the Thesis
A brief account of his/ her recent research work, in about 1000 words on the subject relevant to the discipline in which he/ she has applied for admission to D. Sc./ D. Litt./ LL. D./ programme, showing how far his/ her work is original and is contributory to the advancement of knowledge.
List of publications
Attested copies of certificates in support of qualifications and experience, A certificate from two persons each of whom is either a member of the Academic Council of this University or a graduate of D. Sc./ D. Litt./ LL. D./ of this University to the effect that he/ she is by habits and character a fit and a proper person to be admitted to the degree.
The last date for submission of the application form shall be 31st July in an academic year.
The Controller of Examinations shall send the application of the candidate to the concerned Faculty/ Institute within a week after the last date of the submission of application.
Subject to the general superintendence of the Academic Council, a committee, namely, the Faculty Research Committee (ARC) shall deal with all matters connected with the D. Sc./ D. Litt./ LL. D. programme of the University in accordance with these Ordinances. However, the degree shall be formally approved only by a Research Degree Committee, whose constitution is similar to that of Research Degree Committee for the Ph. D. degree, except for some minor changes as mentioned hereunder.
The constitution of the Research Degree Committee shall be as follows:
|Director of the Institute
(in the case where the faculty is associated with an institute)
|Dean of the faculty
|The Heads of the Departments and the Coordinators of the Schools of the concerned faculty
|Two expert members of the ARC out of which one is the Advisor of the concerned candidate
The constitution of the ARC shall be as follows:
|Director of the Institute
(in the case where the faculty is associated with an institute)
|Dean of the faculty
|Two experts from the concerned faculty, nominated by the concerned Head of the Department/ Coordinator of the School with the approval of the Director/ Dean, out of which one will act as the Advisor of the concerned candidate
|Concerned Head of the Department
The ARC shall scrutinize the applications of the candidates and shall recommend the eligible candidates for admission, to the Academic section of the University. The ARC shall also send the list of the names of the Advisors of the candidates to the Academic section for communicating to the concerned candidates.
The Director Research shall issue the letter of admission to each candidate recommended by the ARC.
Within one month after the receipt of the letter of admission, the candidate shall pay the prescribed fee as per Annexure – A, and shall get registered in the concerned Department by filling a registration form.
If the candidate is not an alumnus of this University, he/ she shall get enrolled before the submission of the thesis.
Submission of the Thesis
- A candidate, admitted to D. Sc./ D. Litt./ LL. D./ Vachaspati programme in accordance with Clause 5 of these Ordinances, shall deliver a pre-submission seminar in the Department before the submission of the thesis, which shall be arranged by the Advisor of the candidate to apprise the teachers and other research workers of the Department/School of his/ her work.
- The candidate, within one year from the date of his/ her admission, shall submit the thesis to the Director Research approved by the concerned ARC, and duly forwarded by its Chairman.
- The candidate shall submit the thesis as per the following guidelines:
- Five copies of the thesis in hardbound form as per the format given in Annexure – B.
- The title page of the thesis shall contain a statement that the thesis has been submitted for the award of the concerned degree for which the candidate has been admitted.
- A soft copy in CD of the Extended Abstract of the thesis mentioned in Annexure – B. 4
- A declaration by the candidate that the thesis has not been submitted for any other degree or diploma, as per the format given in Annexure – C.
- A certificate from the Advisor, Head of the Department/Coordinator of the School and the Chairman of the ARC that the thesis has been submitted for the award of the concerned degree of the University, as per the format given in Annexure – D.
- The thesis shall be either in English or in Hindi except for the case where the subject of the thesis itself is a language. In such a case, the thesis may, at the option of the candidate, be in that specific language.
The work of the candidate shall comply with the following conditions to merit the award of the degree: It must be a substantial work making a distinct addition to learning in the concerned subject of the discipline. It must be original in the sense of opening up new fields of research, or of making a marked advancement on the results of previous investigations, or of giving a new interpretation of the facts already known. It must be a scholarly work of high quality. It must be the work done during the last five years before the submission of the thesis. It must be the work published in reputed journals in the form of research papers and/ or published in the form of books/ monographs, chapter contribution to books/ monographs, etc., out of which at least two must be authored solely by the candidate. It must not be the work, which has been previously submitted for a degree or a diploma in this or in any other University.
- Panel of Examiners: While forwarding the thesis of the candidate to the Academic Section of the University, the ARC shall recommend a panel of examiners of four to six (two/ three from India but outside Rajasthan and two/ three from abroad) experts in the concerned area of the work submitted.
- Board of Examiners: On receipt of the panel of the examiners, the Academic Section shall forward the same to the Controller of Examinations, who in turn shall submit it to the Vice Chancellor for the appointment of the Board of Examiners from the panel. The Board of Examiners shall consist of two members, out of which one shall be from abroad.
- Evaluation of Thesis: The controller of examinations shall get in touch with each examiner to secure acceptance of the examiner ship. For this purpose, if e-mail address of the examiner is available, he/ she shall be contacted through e-mail and the soft copy of the Extended Abstract of the thesis may be sent to him/ her, to get his/ her consent at the earliest. If however, no information is 5 received from an examiner within a reasonable time, his/ her appointment shall be cancelled and a new examiner shall be appointed from the existing panel of examiners in accordance with Clause 7.3.
- On receipt of the acceptance from an examiner, the Controller of Examinations shall forward the copy of the thesis to him/ her, along with a copy of the regulations relating to the award of the D. Sc./ D. Litt./ LL. D./ degree of this University and take necessary action to get the report of the examiner expeditiously.
- The examiners shall be requested to submit their individual reports within two months of the receipt of the thesis.
- In case, an examiner does not send his/her report within the above period, a reminder shall be sent to his/her. This shall be followed by a subsequest reminder after a fortnight.
- In the event of the report not being received from the examiner within 12 weeks, his/her examinership shall be cancelled and a new examiner shall be appointed, from the existing panel of examiners, as per Clause 7.3.
- The examiners shall examine the thesis specifically with a view to judge whether the work is in accordance with Clause 6.4
- The examiners shall give explicit reports with any one of the following recommendations
- the thesis be accepted for the award of D. Sc./ D. Litt./ LL. D./ degree
- the thesis be rejected
- the thesis be submitted in a revised form after adding some more work to the already submitted work.
- The examiner shall give specific and unambiguous reasons for his/ her recommendations. If the thesis is recommended for revision, the examiner may suggest points for improvement of the presented work.
- If the thesis is recommended for revision, the candidate shall be required to submit the revised thesis not earlier than six months and not later than two years, from the date of communication of the report to him/ her by the University. The candidate shall be required to remit only the Examination fee for submitting the revised thesis.
- (a) to (f) shall be followed for the evaluation of the thesis. However, the Controller of Examinations, along with the revised thesis, shall send the copy (copies) of the recommendation(s) of the examiner(s) who recommended the revision of the thesis.
The examiners who evaluate the revised thesis shall recommend only either the acceptance or the rejection of the thesis and shall not recommend any further revision of the thesis.
Award of the Degree
- The reports of all the examiners shall be placed before the concerned ARC. If all the reports are unanimous, recommending the thesis to be accepted for the award of the degree, and if the ARC considers the case to be fit and proper, it shall recommend it to the Research Degree Committee for the award of the degree.
- Even if one examiner recommends the rejection of the thesis, the thesis shall be rejected.
- If the thesis is rejected, the candidate shall not be allowed to apply again for admission within a period of 4 (four) years.
- After the Research Degree Committee approves the thesis for the award of the degree, the candidate concerned may be given the examiners’ reports for which he/ she shall apply separately.
- The year of award of the degree shall be the year of submission of the thesis provided the thesis is accepted without revision. In case of revision, the year of award of the degree shall be the year of submission of the revised thesis.
- The degree certificate shall mention the title of the thesis and the name of the concerned Department/ School in which the candidate was admitted.
- The Extended Abstract of the approved thesis for the award of the degree shall be published in the “Abstracts of Accepted Theses for the Doctor of Science, Doctor of Letters, Doctor of Laws and Vachaspati Degree” of the OPJSUniversity.
- The Academic Section shall send one copy of the thesis duly approved for the award of the degree, for preserving in the Sayaji Rao Gaekwad library of the University and the other in the departmental/ faculty library.
Fees Structure for D. Sc./ D. Litt. / LL. D./ Programme
|First Viva Fee for Registration
|Thesis Submission and Evaluation
|Open session Viva
Note: Additional fees for foreign nationals and NRIs shall be US $. * Only for Employees who are not the alumni of this University.
Annexure – B
FORMAT OF THE THESIS
The following format may be normally adopted for the D. Sc./ D. Litt./ LL. D./ Vachaspati thesis:
Inner cover page
Declaration by the candidate as per the format given in Annexure – C, to the effect that the work has not been submitted for any other degree or diploma
Certificate from the Advisor, Head of the Department/ Coordinator of the School and Chairman of the ARC as per the format given in Annexure – D.
An Extended Abstract of about 2000 words, describing the research work carried out during the last 5 (five) years (before the date of submission), on the subject relevant to the discipline in which the candidate has applied for the degree, explaining how far the work is original, exemplary and is contributive to the advancement of knowledge. It shall also summarize the relevance of the publications to the specific subject of the thesis being submitted.
Reprints of the published work by the candidate, in the relevant subject, in the form of research papers, abstracts of books/ monographs, chapter contribution to books/ monographs/ citations of candidate’s work by others.
List of publications.
A personal profile of the candidate with photograph, not exceeding one page.